Kickstart Your Healthy Resolutions
February 24, 2019 | Ramseier Realty Group
With the start of each new year, comes new year’s resolutions. For many people, the top resolution is improved health. Some people want to lose weight, though some may simply want to quit smoking or drink less. Still, no matter what your resolution is exactly, it can be quite challenging to successfully complete.
In fact, most people have already started abandoning their new year’s resolutions. If that's you, do not despair. Here’s more about why resolutions are so hard and what you need to do in order to kickstart and really stick to your healthy resolutions.
Why Is It So Hard?
The simple truth is old habits die hard. We get used to doing things a certain way, and it’s tough to stop doing what we’ve always done in favor of doing something new. These old habits nag at the back of our brain and suggest we were actually happier when we did things the old way.
Although it’s not necessarily true that we were happier, it is true that life was easier. Thinking is difficult. Decision-making is difficult. Change is difficult, and there’s no way around the fact that creating new habits takes constant thought and work.
How Can I Make Sticking to My Healthy Resolutions Easier?
I’ve found that these five steps will help you make sticking to your healthy resolutions easier:
- Set a specific goal. Instead of having a broad goal of lose weight, have a more specific goal of lose 10 pounds by swimsuit season. By putting thought into what exactly we want to achieve and creating specific goals, we actually set ourselves up to be more successful.
- Have a plan. Now that you know what you want to do, you need to figure out how you’re going to do it. This step is the hardest of the five, so it might require a bit more work than the others. However, taking the time to have a solid plan will make it more likely that you won’t give up on yourself by mid-February.
When you create your plan, make sure to have an idea of what you are going to do to achieve your goal. Then, think about obstacles you might face along the way. What will you do when faced with these roadblocks? Make your answer part of your plan.
- Visualize achieving your goal. Believe it or not, visualization is a crucial step to following through on your resolutions. If you take time every day to imagine what it will be like when you achieve your goal, it actually helps you become more determined to experience that moment.
- What happens when you achieve your goal? You have done it! You achieved your goal--so what’s next? Do you go back to your old habits? What will probably happen if you do?
For those with a health goal, achievement is tricky. In order to achieve your goal, you will have made changes. Once the goal is reached, it can be tempting to revert to your old ways. Take a moment to realize that your old ways did you no favors. Your old ways were what got you to the point that you decided you needed to change.
- Have another plan. Once you achieve your health resolution, it’s time to assess where you’re at and create another plan. This plan is about how you’re going to sustain your success. What will you do to maintain your achievement through the rest of the year?
Just like in Step 2, write down your plan. Think of any obstacles that you might face and what you will do when these roadblocks arise.
Put Your Plan in Action
Now that you know what to do, you can put your plan in action. Plan for your success. Plan what you’re going to do after you achieve your goals. This way, when you are successful, you won’t be surprised and suddenly abandon all of your good habits.
We Can Help
Okay, we can’t help you complete your healthy resolution, but we can help you sell or find a home. If you’re in or near the St. Joseph, Missouri area, Ramseier Realty Group is here to help. Contact us through our website or give us a call today at 816.262.8077 to learn what our qualified realtors can do for you.